Thursday, July 6, 2017

10 centuries in 10 days

I always need a challenge. A goal to pursue. But this challenge seems a little extreme.

It's not so much the riding 10 days in a row part. I've done a few big bike tours, including an 1100 mile circumnavigation of Alabama over 16 days, a couple of 7 day 500 mile RAGBRAIs, and a bunch of smaller 2 and 3 day bike tours. A long multiple day ride is not what worries me.

It's the consecutive centuries. My century count is currently at 20 spread over the course of about 20 months. Some were ridden during bike tours and others part of some organized event or just a personal challenge. They're always difficult. The pain factor, for me anyway, seems to start increasing exponentially at around the 80 mile mark. I'm not fast at all, so for me a century involves a whole lot more seat time than it does for others.

Riding consecutive centuries is an even greater challenge. I've managed to do a couple of big consecutive day rides -- one consisted of back-to-back 140 mile days on easy rail trail -- and the other was 3 centuries in 3 days on a combination of road and rail trail. I was completely wiped out at the end of each.

But I'm fond of saying there's a certain kind of fun that can only be had by suffering.

For me to have a chance of success at 10 centuries in a row is gonna require several things, all critical.

I'll have to lose weight. Probably 25 or 30 lbs. Down to what I was when I left college.

I'll need a new lightweight bike. Total weight of around 20 lbs.

I'll have to travel with a minimum amount of gear and supplies. I'm thinking max of 25 lbs.

I'll need to increase my average speed.

I'll need a very favorable route and elevation profile.

I'll need to do some serious training. Likely 6 to 9 months worth.

And it'll still be one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do.


2 comments:

  1. Well that sounds pretty epic! I think what you need are some comfortable centuries under your belt to improve your confidence. I think you're right to focus on speed. Did that 140 mile ride a month ago in 9 hours and felt fine at the end of it. I'll do some poking around and see if I can find some stats on how weight loss improves speed on the flats. Also, you can improve your power by doing intervals. Ride hard for a few minutes, ride easy. Power will improve and you'll go faster for that as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sean. I do plan to do some centuries between now and then, and I just met with a trainer who is going to get me going on an intervals plan.

    ReplyDelete